Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- ItalyThe local newspapers in Melbourne and Sydney carried articles on the arrival of the MV Roma with
- NetherlandsIn 1955 at eight years old my parents told me we were going to move to Australia.
- I was nine years old in 1956. It had been one of the coldest winters on record in Holland.
- Sri LankaI am an only child born to a mother who has nine siblings and one live-in cousin and a father wit
- AustraliaThe top picture is one of me and a mate walking through C Block Wacol Hostel on the way to starti
- PolandIn 1969 at the age of 21, Cecylia was awarded a Churchill Fellowship to study piano abroad, inclu
- South AfricaBorn in 1901 and standing 88.9cm tall, Maria Peters was variously known as ‘Princess Ubangi’, ‘a
- GermanyAfter a few weeks in Bonegilla we moved to Beechworth in Victoria.
- EgyptThe Egyptian ship SS Misr arrived in Melbourne in April 1947 with 624 men, women and chi
- GermanyMum and Dad were like many thousands of other immigrants of their era.
- HungaryBetween 1947 and 1971 the Bonegilla Migrant Reception and Training Centre accommodated more than
- LatviaSeven-year-old Maira Kalnins (who is referred to incorrectly as ‘Naira’ within the records) becam
- NetherlandsFifty years after their arrival, the Wolwinkels held a family reunion in Gumbuya Park, Victoria,
- GermanyFather had to keep an appointment with a government official who would oversee his contract.
- United KingdomMy uncle, James Hadley with his wife Maisie (nee Lambert) and their two children, Jaimmy and Jenn
- ItalyMario Cerasani was born on 9 June 1930 in San Benedetto dei Marsi in the Abruzzo region of Italy.
- NetherlandsOn their arrival, Adriana Zevenbergen and her family were treated to gifts, dinner receptions wit
- ItalyMum had really long hair when she was in her teens, but when she was about 18, she thought it was
- AustraliaDad and Mum met on Australia Day 1965, just after Dad had come back from Frankston beach with his
- ItalyEarly October 1973, Mum's family picked up Dad and Mum and headed to Tullamarine Airport.