Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- GermanyAustralia accepted us as emigrants in 1948 and we left Deggendorf in mid-winter.
- United KingdomWe arrived at South Brisbane on 5 November, 1968, having made the final leg of our long journey b
- United KingdomMy father Alexander was sixty five years old when he and my mother Susan decided to migrate to Au
- GermanyI arrived on the ship Fair Sea in March 1954 in Melbourne.
- AustraliaVarious programs were run for the children of migrants, particularly via hostels and community or
- NetherlandsAfter a half a year my friend decided to move to another place and I had to decide what to do, st
- GermanyI cannot remember arriving at Bonegilla, but I clearly remember waking up in the hospital with da
- LatviaSeven-year-old Maira Kalnins (who is referred to incorrectly as ‘Naira’ within the records) becam
- ItalyDad got work on a market garden in St Ives owned by fellow Aeolian migrants, Sam and Fay Fraumeni
- GermanyMum and Dad were like many thousands of other immigrants of their era.
- NetherlandsMigrants who had won beauty pageant titles were the perfect models for promotional photographs ta
- ItalyAs with other milestone migrant arrivals, there were grand plans to welcome Antonia Bellomarino a
- NetherlandsThese photographs show the Hoogenhout family working in their bakery.
- LuxembourgThe main kitchen was huge, next to the kitchen, in a shed was a giant steam producing machine, th
- ItalyThe local newspapers in Melbourne and Sydney carried articles on the arrival of the MV Roma with
- GermanyAs a teenager, seventeen at my last birthday, I had my own cabin aboard.
- GermanyNo longer young at 44, Father finally made good his lifelong dream of migration.
- NetherlandsThis is writtrn in memory of my father and mother.In the year 1945 we had been through a war and
- Czech RepublicVoitre Marek, an artist now with works at the Art Gallery of South Australia and the National Gal
- ItalyDad met us at the wharf in Sydney and took us to our new home on a market-garden farm in St Ives.