Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- AustraliaThe following day I was given a very lengthy series of tests in maths, English, solving problems,
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- GermanyAfter a few weeks in Bonegilla we moved to Beechworth in Victoria.
- MaltaMy husband and I had never travelled overseas before we migrated to Australia.
- LatviaOtto Kampe, the 250,000th refugee to arrive in Australia post-World War II, landed with his wife
- NetherlandsLike many new arrivals, Bonegilla Migrant Reception and Training Centre was the Wolswinkels' firs
- ItalyMum had really long hair when she was in her teens, but when she was about 18, she thought it was
- AustraliaIt was not smooth sailing for all migrants that arrived in Australia after WWII.
- GermanyAustralia accepted us as emigrants in 1948 and we left Deggendorf in mid-winter.
- ItalyDad recalls how when he did something wrong, Nonno would chase after him saying "come back, I lov
- HungaryLaszlo Makay arrived in Australia in 1951.
- GermanyMy parents, Johannes (John) and Elisabeth (Lisa) had applied to emigrate to Venezuela and to Aust
- GermanyInitially Mum was very homesick.
- United KingdomMy father Alexander was sixty five years old when he and my mother Susan decided to migrate to Au
- AustraliaBack in Adelaide, I settled down to my work. Three of the cadet engineers became my friends.
- GermanyAs a teenager, seventeen at my last birthday, I had my own cabin aboard.
- Bosnia and HerzegovinaGot Queensland Migrant Service Award by the Queensland Government for voluntary work .
- LuxembourgSydney, Villawood Hostel.
- NetherlandsIt all began when I was at secondary school where I had to do a project on one of the continents.