Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- NetherlandsThis is writtrn in memory of my father and mother.In the year 1945 we had been through a war and
- IndonesiaBas Wie was an orphan who had survived the Japanese occupation of Timor during World War II.
- NetherlandsIt all began when I was at secondary school where I had to do a project on one of the continents.
- GermanyDad worked at BHP at Newcastle, and was meant to stay in the hostel at Mayfield, but to save mone
- NetherlandsFifty years after their arrival, the Wolwinkels held a family reunion in Gumbuya Park, Victoria,
- GermanyGertrud Neumahr was 18 when she decided to go on a grand two year round trip adventure to Austral
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- NetherlandsThere seemed to be no future for me in Australia, so I decided to return to the Netherlands after
- HungaryHungarian Laszlo Makay arrived at Bonegilla in November 1951 after six years in a displaced perso
- AustraliaVera arranged a job for Voitre at a local jeweller.
- LuxembourgSYDNEY 1 first steps.
- AustraliaSoon after announcing his search for ships and migrants to fill them, the first Immigration Minis
- ItalyMario Cerasani was born on 9 June 1930 in San Benedetto dei Marsi in the Abruzzo region of Italy.
- AustraliaThe following day I was given a very lengthy series of tests in maths, English, solving problems,
- NetherlandsAs promotion for the Australian government’s migration programs, much was made of milestone arriv
- AustraliaIt was not smooth sailing for all migrants that arrived in Australia after WWII.
- United KingdomJohn Albert Martin, his wife Mavis and son Donald, arrived in Australia onboard the Oronsay in Ju
- NetherlandsI (Frans Alexander Udo) was born on March 29 1950 in Amsterdam Holland.
- ItalyThe local newspapers in Melbourne and Sydney carried articles on the arrival of the MV Roma with