Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- NetherlandsOn their arrival, Adriana Zevenbergen and her family were treated to gifts, dinner receptions wit
- AustraliaIt was not smooth sailing for all migrants that arrived in Australia after WWII.
- Vladimir and his family (Jirina his wife, and Marcella his daughter) found asylum in Australia f
- GermanyOn our arrival in Australia, my mother Lisa's only language was German.
- AustraliaDad would always try and do something special with us on the weekends.
- VietnamIn April 1975, a large scale evacuation of children took place in Vietnam, sending thousands of c
- AustraliaDad and Mum met on Australia Day 1965, just after Dad had come back from Frankston beach with his
- ItalyWe arrived at Greta Migrant Camp, approximately 180 kms north of Sydney, in mid December 1955.
- AustraliaThe first entry into mainland Australia by Torres Strait Islanders from the Torres Strait began i
- ChinaMy father was born in Chandaochedzy, Manchuria; my mother in Chingan, Manchuria and I was born in
- ItalyMilestone migrants received a lot of fanfare on arrival to Australia, and for Antonia Bellomarino
- ItalyMario Cerasani was born on 9 June 1930 in San Benedetto dei Marsi in the Abruzzo region of Italy.
- GermanyAfter a few weeks in Bonegilla we moved to Beechworth in Victoria.
- NetherlandsThese photographs show the Hoogenhout family working in their bakery.
- GermanyDad and a mate worked hard on the side, cutting timber, breaking coal, anything, to earn a few ex
- Czech RepublicVoitre Marek, an artist now with works at the Art Gallery of South Australia and the National Gal
- Australia'It has not been easy for organised world opinion in the United Nations or elsewhere to act direc
- AustraliaSoon after announcing his search for ships and migrants to fill them, the first Immigration Minis
- ItalyDad got work on a market garden in St Ives owned by fellow Aeolian migrants, Sam and Fay Fraumeni
- ItalyThis story is about my Dad and Mum on their second trip back home together, but without us kids a