Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- AustraliaBack in Adelaide, I settled down to my work. Three of the cadet engineers became my friends.
- LuxembourgSydney, Villawood Hostel.
- GermanyI cannot remember arriving at Bonegilla, but I clearly remember waking up in the hospital with da
- Czech RepublicThe Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1968 ended a period of democratic reform and led to an
- AustraliaMany migrants that made the journey to Australia found it hard to adapt to the Australian way of
- EgyptThe Egyptian ship SS Misr arrived in Melbourne in April 1947 with 624 men, women and chi
- ItalyMy grandfather, Onofio, had come to Sydney, Australia, in 1904 with two of his brothers.
- NetherlandsWhile Jan died in December 2010 and Nieske only six months later, their legacy in Tasmania remain
- NetherlandsIt all began when I was at secondary school where I had to do a project on one of the continents.
- LuxembourgSYDNEY 1 first steps.
- LuxembourgWe were loaded into Buses, it took more than two hours to arrive in Villawood hostel, some houses
- GermanyMy Mother and Father decided to come to Australia from Germany.
- United StatesHaving left New York six weeks earlier, the Mills family - all eight of them!- finally arrive at
- ItalyWe arrived at Greta Migrant Camp, approximately 180 kms north of Sydney, in mid December 1955.
- GermanyInitially Mum was very homesick.
- GermanyNo longer young at 44, Father finally made good his lifelong dream of migration.
- NetherlandsIn 1960 Cornelis and Adriana Zevenbergen with their sons Kees and Addo moved into their own three
- AustraliaTo leave the only place you've ever called home and saying goodbye to all your loving family and
- GermanyAs a teenager, seventeen at my last birthday, I had my own cabin aboard.
- NetherlandsJan and Nieske Hoogenhout became well-known and liked locally when they opened their bakery in Sh