Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- GermanyMum and Dad were like many thousands of other immigrants of their era.
- GreeceBy the 1960s the Australian government began to address the growing gender imbalance by actively
- AustraliaThe top picture is one of me and a mate walking through C Block Wacol Hostel on the way to starti
- ItalyMilestone migrants received a lot of fanfare on arrival to Australia, and for Antonia Bellomarino
- NetherlandsBy the 1960s the Immigration Department’s publicity campaign to attract migrants to Australia was
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- NetherlandsWhen Adriana Zevenbergen first thought of coming to Australia with her husband Cornelis in the ea
- IndonesiaAnnie Maas O’Keefe arrived in Australia as a wartime evacuee from Indonesia.
- GermanyDad worked at BHP at Newcastle, and was meant to stay in the hostel at Mayfield, but to save mone
- AustraliaDad would always try and do something special with us on the weekends.
- ItalyWe arrived at Greta Migrant Camp, approximately 180 kms north of Sydney, in mid December 1955.
- NetherlandsWhile Jan died in December 2010 and Nieske only six months later, their legacy in Tasmania remain
- NetherlandsThere seemed to be no future for me in Australia, so I decided to return to the Netherlands after
- AustraliaConstruction began on the Snowy Hydro Electric Scheme on 17 October 1949.
- ChinaMy father was born in Chandaochedzy, Manchuria; my mother in Chingan, Manchuria and I was born in
- LithuaniaIn the aftermath of World War II, around one million Europeans were displaced from their country
- AustraliaHe found me a private room in his mission hall.
- HungaryLaszlo Makay arrived in Australia in 1951.
- United KingdomTom & Millie Wilkinson, with their young family - Gordon and Rosemary - arrived in Melbourne,
- ItalyThis story is about my Dad and Mum on their second trip back home together, but without us kids a