Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- GermanyFamily Challenges: Loneliness. Isolation.
- ItalyDad got work on a market garden in St Ives owned by fellow Aeolian migrants, Sam and Fay Fraumeni
- United KingdomAustralia’s post-war immigration publicity campaign was in full swing by 1955.
- South AfricaBorn in 1901 and standing 88.9cm tall, Maria Peters was variously known as ‘Princess Ubangi’, ‘a
- NetherlandsIt all began when I was at secondary school where I had to do a project on one of the continents.
- NetherlandsLike many new arrivals, Bonegilla Migrant Reception and Training Centre was the Wolswinkels' firs
- MaltaMy husband and I had never travelled overseas before we migrated to Australia.
- I was nine years old in 1956. It had been one of the coldest winters on record in Holland.
- LuxembourgSydney 2 getting work On the way to the employment office, the predominant question in the back
- LithuaniaOn 28 November 1947, 843 displaced persons from Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia arrived in Fremantl
- NetherlandsAs promotion for the Australian government’s migration programs, much was made of milestone arriv
- AustraliaVarious programs were run for the children of migrants, particularly via hostels and community or
- AustraliaIt was not smooth sailing for all migrants that arrived in Australia after WWII.
- HungaryHungarian Laszlo Makay arrived at Bonegilla in November 1951 after six years in a displaced perso
- ItalyMilestone migrants received a lot of fanfare on arrival to Australia, and for Antonia Bellomarino
- United KingdomIt was 16th March 1952.
- AustraliaConstruction began on the Snowy Hydro Electric Scheme on 17 October 1949.
- ItalyMy grandfather, Onofio, had come to Sydney, Australia, in 1904 with two of his brothers.
- NetherlandsMigrants who had won beauty pageant titles were the perfect models for promotional photographs ta
- Australia'It has not been easy for organised world opinion in the United Nations or elsewhere to act direc