Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- GermanyAs a teenager, seventeen at my last birthday, I had my own cabin aboard.
- VietnamIn April 1975, a large scale evacuation of children took place in Vietnam, sending thousands of c
- LatviaSeven-year-old Maira Kalnins (who is referred to incorrectly as ‘Naira’ within the records) becam
- NetherlandsBy the 1960s the Immigration Department’s publicity campaign to attract migrants to Australia was
- Czech RepublicVoitre Marek, an artist now with works at the Art Gallery of South Australia and the National Gal
- NetherlandsIt all began when I was at secondary school where I had to do a project on one of the continents.
- NetherlandsThis is writtrn in memory of my father and mother.In the year 1945 we had been through a war and
- United KingdomI was 12 years old and was ordered by the High Court in London to leave to join my father Frank a
- United KingdomAustralia’s post-war immigration publicity campaign was in full swing by 1955.
- Czech RepublicThe Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1968 ended a period of democratic reform and led to an
- NetherlandsJan and Nieske Hoogenhout became well-known and liked locally when they opened their bakery in Sh
- GermanyMy Mother and Father decided to come to Australia from Germany.
- Australia'It has not been easy for organised world opinion in the United Nations or elsewhere to act direc
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- GreeceMy parents travelled independently from Greece to Australia from the same region of Greece.
- NetherlandsCornelia Grosveld and Antonius Meerbach married in Roosendaal in the Netherlands just after the o
- ItalyWe arrived at Greta Migrant Camp, approximately 180 kms north of Sydney, in mid December 1955.
- GermanyI arrived on the ship Fair Sea in March 1954 in Melbourne.
- NetherlandsIn 1955 at eight years old my parents told me we were going to move to Australia.
- ItalyThis story is about my Dad and Mum on their second trip back home together, but without us kids a