Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- NetherlandsJan and Nieske Hoogenhout became well-known and liked locally when they opened their bakery in Sh
- ItalyDad got work on a market garden in St Ives owned by fellow Aeolian migrants, Sam and Fay Fraumeni
- NetherlandsIn 1955 at eight years old my parents told me we were going to move to Australia.
- United KingdomI arrived at the hostel late afternoon it was getting cooler and after London it was as different
- NetherlandsWhile Jan died in December 2010 and Nieske only six months later, their legacy in Tasmania remain
- GermanyAs a teenager, seventeen at my last birthday, I had my own cabin aboard.
- PolandIn 1969 at the age of 21, Cecylia was awarded a Churchill Fellowship to study piano abroad, inclu
- JapanSachiko McKay nee Morimoto, known as Marie, was born in Japan in 1928.
- Czech RepublicThe Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1968 ended a period of democratic reform and led to an
- ItalyWhen they first arrived in Melbourne, Mum and her family lived in North Essendon for a short time
- ChinaMy father was born in Chandaochedzy, Manchuria; my mother in Chingan, Manchuria and I was born in
- MaltaMy husband and I had never travelled overseas before we migrated to Australia.
- LithuaniaIn the aftermath of World War II, around one million Europeans were displaced from their country
- NetherlandsThis is writtrn in memory of my father and mother.In the year 1945 we had been through a war and
- HungaryLaszlo Makay arrived in Australia in 1951.
- GermanyMy Mother and Father decided to come to Australia from Germany.
- United KingdomArriving from England in March 1964, my wife and I settled in Melbourne.
- IndonesiaAnnie Maas O’Keefe arrived in Australia as a wartime evacuee from Indonesia.
- AustraliaHe found me a private room in his mission hall.
- VietnamOperation Babylift was the name given to the mass evacuation of children from South Vietnam to nu