Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- LuxembourgSydney 2 getting work On the way to the employment office, the predominant question in the back
- ItalyThis story is about my Dad and Mum on their second trip back home together, but without us kids a
- NetherlandsLike many new arrivals, Bonegilla Migrant Reception and Training Centre was the Wolswinkels' firs
- NetherlandsMigrants who had won beauty pageant titles were the perfect models for promotional photographs ta
- NetherlandsThere seemed to be no future for me in Australia, so I decided to return to the Netherlands after
- PolandIn 1969 at the age of 21, Cecylia was awarded a Churchill Fellowship to study piano abroad, inclu
- AustraliaDad and Mum met on Australia Day 1965, just after Dad had come back from Frankston beach with his
- ItalyThe local newspapers in Melbourne and Sydney carried articles on the arrival of the MV Roma with
- United KingdomMy father Alexander was sixty five years old when he and my mother Susan decided to migrate to Au
- AustraliaThe top picture is one of me and a mate walking through C Block Wacol Hostel on the way to starti
- GreeceThe selection officer who interviewed Vassiliki Daflou in Athens described her as ‘just an averag
- NetherlandsCornelia Grosveld and Antonius Meerbach married in Roosendaal in the Netherlands just after the o
- AustraliaIn their new home, they planted lots of fruit trees and vegetable plants and lived off the garden
- Sri LankaThe Colombo Plan, launched in 1951, was an intergovernmental program designed to strengthen relat
- GermanyI arrived on the ship Fair Sea in March 1954 in Melbourne.
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- LuxembourgFrom Singapore we had an overnight flight to Sydney, dawn came, the first glimpse on our new home
- ItalyWhen they first arrived in Melbourne, Mum and her family lived in North Essendon for a short time
- United KingdomTom & Millie Wilkinson, with their young family - Gordon and Rosemary - arrived in Melbourne,
- GermanyMum and Dad came from Ulm in southern Germany.