Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- United KingdomI was 12 years old and was ordered by the High Court in London to leave to join my father Frank a
- AustraliaThe following day I was given a very lengthy series of tests in maths, English, solving problems,
- IndonesiaBas Wie was an orphan who had survived the Japanese occupation of Timor during World War II.
- GermanyGertrud Neumahr was 18 when she decided to go on a grand two year round trip adventure to Austral
- NetherlandsWhile Jan died in December 2010 and Nieske only six months later, their legacy in Tasmania remain
- the people you see at this picture are my uncle and my aunt Bep Bijster and there two children.
- NetherlandsThere seemed to be no future for me in Australia, so I decided to return to the Netherlands after
- GermanyFamily Challenges: Loneliness. Isolation.
- LuxembourgSydney, Villawood Hostel.
- AustraliaVarious programs were run for the children of migrants, particularly via hostels and community or
- NetherlandsOn their arrival, Adriana Zevenbergen and her family were treated to gifts, dinner receptions wit
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- ItalyDad met us at the wharf in Sydney and took us to our new home on a market-garden farm in St Ives.
- ChinaMy father was born in Chandaochedzy, Manchuria; my mother in Chingan, Manchuria and I was born in
- NetherlandsMay 5th 1957 - cold and a light snow.
- South AfricaBorn in 1901 and standing 88.9cm tall, Maria Peters was variously known as ‘Princess Ubangi’, ‘a
- LithuaniaOn 28 November 1947, 843 displaced persons from Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia arrived in Fremantl
- LuxembourgSYDNEY 1 first steps.
- Czech RepublicVoitre Marek, an artist now with works at the Art Gallery of South Australia and the National Gal
- VietnamIn April 1975, a large scale evacuation of children took place in Vietnam, sending thousands of c