Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- GermanyWhen they landed in Fremantle, Western Australia, a kind gentleman bought them an ice cream and m
- ItalyDad got work on a market garden in St Ives owned by fellow Aeolian migrants, Sam and Fay Fraumeni
- AustraliaIn their new home, they planted lots of fruit trees and vegetable plants and lived off the garden
- AustraliaDad and Mum met on Australia Day 1965, just after Dad had come back from Frankston beach with his
- AustraliaHe found me a private room in his mission hall.
- NetherlandsAfter a half a year my friend decided to move to another place and I had to decide what to do, st
- NetherlandsI (Frans Alexander Udo) was born on March 29 1950 in Amsterdam Holland.
- NetherlandsFifty years after their arrival, the Wolwinkels held a family reunion in Gumbuya Park, Victoria,
- United KingdomI picked 1970 as this when I was just 15 and left Aus reluctantly but keen to see me mum brothers
- NetherlandsLike many new arrivals, Bonegilla Migrant Reception and Training Centre was the Wolswinkels' firs
- NetherlandsAs promotion for the Australian government’s migration programs, much was made of milestone arriv
- Bosnia and HerzegovinaGot Queensland Migrant Service Award by the Queensland Government for voluntary work .
- United KingdomMy uncle, James Hadley with his wife Maisie (nee Lambert) and their two children, Jaimmy and Jenn
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- LatviaOtto Kampe, the 250,000th refugee to arrive in Australia post-World War II, landed with his wife
- Czech RepublicThe Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1968 ended a period of democratic reform and led to an
- LithuaniaOn 28 November 1947, 843 displaced persons from Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia arrived in Fremantl
- I was nine years old in 1956. It had been one of the coldest winters on record in Holland.
- GermanyFamily Challenges: Loneliness. Isolation.