Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- NetherlandsMy first job was at a car yard cleaning cars and so.
- Bas Wie was an orphan who had survived the Japanese occupation of Timor during World War II.
- NetherlandsI (Frans Alexander Udo) was born on March 29 1950 in Amsterdam Holland.
- JapanSachiko McKay nee Morimoto, known as Marie, was born in Japan in 1928.
- MaltaMy husband and I had never travelled overseas before we migrated to Australia.
- JapanImmediately following World War II, the Japanese brides of Australian servicemen were precluded f
- ItalyThe MV Roma went on to Melbourne and then arrived in Sydney at 2.35pm on Thursday 11 October 1951
- ItalyDad found work at the Ordish Brick Factory in Dandenong a few weeks after he arrived.
- GermanyThey sailed on 9.12.54 on the SS Skaubryn and Christmas was celebrated on the Red Sea.
- United KingdomWe arrived at South Brisbane on 5 November, 1968, having made the final leg of our long journey b
- GermanyNo longer young at 44, Father finally made good his lifelong dream of migration.
- ItalyMum had really long hair when she was in her teens, but when she was about 18, she thought it was
- GermanyAs a teenager, seventeen at my last birthday, I had my own cabin aboard.
- AustraliaVera arranged a job for Voitre at a local jeweller.
- LuxembourgSydney 2 getting work On the way to the employment office, the predominant question in the back
- Bosnia and HerzegovinaGot Queensland Migrant Service Award by the Queensland Government for voluntary work .
- NetherlandsThese photographs show the Hoogenhout family working in their bakery.
- NetherlandsFifty years after their arrival, the Wolwinkels held a family reunion in Gumbuya Park, Victoria,
- ItalyThe local newspapers in Melbourne and Sydney carried articles on the arrival of the MV Roma with
- LuxembourgFrom Singapore we had an overnight flight to Sydney, dawn came, the first glimpse on our new home