Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- GermanyMum and Dad came from Ulm in southern Germany.
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- IndonesiaBas Wie was an orphan who had survived the Japanese occupation of Timor during World War II.
- United KingdomAustralia’s post-war immigration publicity campaign was in full swing by 1955.
- LatviaOtto Kampe, the 250,000th refugee to arrive in Australia post-World War II, landed with his wife
- LuxembourgThe main kitchen was huge, next to the kitchen, in a shed was a giant steam producing machine, th
- NetherlandsMay 5th 1957 - cold and a light snow.
- AustraliaSoon after announcing his search for ships and migrants to fill them, the first Immigration Minis
- IndonesiaAnnie Maas O’Keefe arrived in Australia as a wartime evacuee from Indonesia.
- AustraliaMany migrants that made the journey to Australia found it hard to adapt to the Australian way of
- NetherlandsLike many new arrivals, Bonegilla Migrant Reception and Training Centre was the Wolswinkels' firs
- Czech RepublicThe Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1968 ended a period of democratic reform and led to an
- GermanyWhen they landed in Fremantle, Western Australia, a kind gentleman bought them an ice cream and m
- VietnamIn April 1975, a large scale evacuation of children took place in Vietnam, sending thousands of c
- AustraliaMum and Dad had achieved so much in their lives, but nothing bought them as much joy and happines
- GermanyInitially Mum was very homesick.
- AustraliaIn the early 70's a lot of people struggled financially and needed money even to go to the doctor
- ItalyIn early 1964, Dad had made contact with Mum in Italy and had asked her to sell their family home
- NetherlandsThis is writtrn in memory of my father and mother.In the year 1945 we had been through a war and