Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- ItalyThe Bellomarinos were considered a ‘very good family group’ by their interviewing immigration off
- LuxembourgFrom Singapore we had an overnight flight to Sydney, dawn came, the first glimpse on our new home
- GermanyMum and Dad were like many thousands of other immigrants of their era.
- ItalyThe local newspapers in Melbourne and Sydney carried articles on the arrival of the MV Roma with
- United KingdomTom & Millie Wilkinson, with their young family - Gordon and Rosemary - arrived in Melbourne,
- NetherlandsHenk Wolswinkel, the youngest of 13 Wolswinkel children, boarded the Dutch migrant ship Johan van
- JapanImmediately following World War II, the Japanese brides of Australian servicemen were precluded f
- United KingdomMy father Alexander was sixty five years old when he and my mother Susan decided to migrate to Au
- United KingdomI picked 1970 as this when I was just 15 and left Aus reluctantly but keen to see me mum brothers
- NetherlandsIt all began when I was at secondary school where I had to do a project on one of the continents.
- GermanyDad and a mate worked hard on the side, cutting timber, breaking coal, anything, to earn a few ex
- I was nine years old in 1956. It had been one of the coldest winters on record in Holland.
- ItalyEarly October 1973, Mum's family picked up Dad and Mum and headed to Tullamarine Airport.
- AustraliaIn the early 70's alot of people struggled financially and needed money even to go to the doctors
- ItalyThis story is about my Dad and Mum on their second trip back home together, but without us kids a
- LuxembourgWe were loaded into Buses, it took more than two hours to arrive in Villawood hostel, some houses
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- AustraliaIn their new home, they planted lots of fruit trees and vegetable plants and lived off the garden
- United KingdomI was 12 years old and was ordered by the High Court in London to leave to join my father Frank a
- GermanyI cannot remember arriving at Bonegilla, but I clearly remember waking up in the hospital with da