Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- United KingdomJohn Albert Martin, his wife Mavis and son Donald, arrived in Australia onboard the Oronsay in Ju
- PolandIn 1969 at the age of 21, Cecylia was awarded a Churchill Fellowship to study piano abroad, inclu
- AustraliaMany migrants that made the journey to Australia found it hard to adapt to the Australian way of
- NetherlandsFifty years after their arrival, the Wolwinkels held a family reunion in Gumbuya Park, Victoria,
- LithuaniaOn 28 November 1947, 843 displaced persons from Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia arrived in Fremantl
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- ItalyWhen they first came to Australia in 1965, Dad and Mum had bought a block of land in Dandenong So
- AustraliaConstruction began on the Snowy Hydro Electric Scheme on 17 October 1949.
- United KingdomI was 12 years old and was ordered by the High Court in London to leave to join my father Frank a
- NetherlandsI was nine years old in 1956. It had been one of the coldest winters on record in Holland.
- NetherlandsMay 5th 1957 - cold and a light snow.
- MaltaMy husband and I had never travelled overseas before we migrated to Australia.
- ItalyIn July 1977, Mum's family came to pick us up and take us to Tullamarine Airport as we were on ou
- AustraliaWhen they first arrived in Melbourne in 1959, Mum and her family lived in North Essendon for a sh
- GermanyThey sailed on 9.12.54 on the SS Skaubryn and Christmas was celebrated on the Red Sea.
- LuxembourgWe were loaded into Buses, it took more than two hours to arrive in Villawood hostel, some houses
- United KingdomLived in the little village of Bempton in Yorshire up untill the age of five, I feel lucky as I h
- GermanyNo longer young at 44, Father finally made good his lifelong dream of migration.
- NetherlandsThese photographs show the Hoogenhout family working in their bakery.
- ItalyThe local newspapers in Melbourne and Sydney carried articles on the arrival of the MV Roma with