Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- ItalyDad recalls how when he did something wrong, Nonno would chase after him saying "come back, I lov
- GermanyDad and a mate worked hard on the side, cutting timber, breaking coal, anything, to earn a few ex
- GermanyFather had to keep an appointment with a government official who would oversee his contract.
- United KingdomI picked 1970 as this when I was just 15 and left Aus reluctantly but keen to see me mum brothers
- GermanyOn our arrival in Australia, my mother Lisa's only language was German.
- GermanyThe migrant ship MS Nelly carried the first German migrants under the bilateral assisted
- Bosnia and HerzegovinaGot Queensland Migrant Service Award by the Queensland Government for voluntary work .
- AustraliaThe top picture is one of me and a mate walking through C Block Wacol Hostel on the way to starti
- AustraliaMany migrants that made the journey to Australia found it hard to adapt to the Australian way of
- GermanyAustralia accepted us as emigrants in 1948 and we left Deggendorf in mid-winter.
- GermanyGertrud Neumahr was 18 when she decided to go on a grand two year round trip adventure to Austral
- United KingdomI was 12 years old and was ordered by the High Court in London to leave to join my father Frank a
- PolandI, Marianna Konovalov and my husband Vladimir came to Australia as migrants in 1949.
- ItalyMy Mum was a bright and very adventurous little girl.
- Vladimir and his family (Jirina his wife, and Marcella his daughter) found asylum in Australia f
- GermanyIt was five years after the worst global conflict ever had come to its end, when Father had manag
- AustraliaThe first entry into mainland Australia by Torres Strait Islanders from the Torres Strait began i
- NetherlandsThis is writtrn in memory of my father and mother.In the year 1945 we had been through a war and
- ItalyWe arrived at Greta Migrant Camp, approximately 180 kms north of Sydney, in mid December 1955.
- AustraliaSoon after announcing his search for ships and migrants to fill them, the first Immigration Minis