Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- GermanyNo longer young at 44, Father finally made good his lifelong dream of migration.
- NetherlandsIn 1955 at eight years old my parents told me we were going to move to Australia.
- NetherlandsThere seemed to be no future for me in Australia, so I decided to return to the Netherlands after
- GermanyAustralia accepted us as emigrants in 1948 and we left Deggendorf in mid-winter.
- LuxembourgThe rest of the afternoon was spend unpacking then wandering around in the hostel to get acquaint
- LatviaSeven-year-old Maira Kalnins (who is referred to incorrectly as ‘Naira’ within the records) becam
- GermanyDad worked at BHP at Newcastle, and was meant to stay in the hostel at Mayfield, but to save mone
- United KingdomHere we are, having gone through customs and heading for the gang plank not knowing what might li
- United KingdomIt was 16th March 1952.
- HungaryLaszlo Makay arrived in Australia in 1951.
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- NetherlandsWhile Jan died in December 2010 and Nieske only six months later, their legacy in Tasmania remain
- United KingdomI arrived at the hostel late afternoon it was getting cooler and after London it was as different
- ItalyDad got work on a market garden in St Ives owned by fellow Aeolian migrants, Sam and Fay Fraumeni
- AustraliaMany migrants that made the journey to Australia found it hard to adapt to the Australian way of
- Bosnia and HerzegovinaGot Queensland Migrant Service Award by the Queensland Government for voluntary work .
- AustraliaVarious programs were run for the children of migrants, particularly via hostels and community or
- ChinaMy father was born in Chandaochedzy, Manchuria; my mother in Chingan, Manchuria and I was born in
- AustraliaDad and Mum met on Australia Day 1965, just after Dad had come back from Frankston beach with his
- ItalyWhen they first arrived in Melbourne, Mum and her family lived in North Essendon for a short time