Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- AustraliaVarious programs were run for the children of migrants, particularly via hostels and community or
- United KingdomI arrived at the hostel late afternoon it was getting cooler and after London it was as different
- NetherlandsIt all began when I was at secondary school where I had to do a project on one of the continents.
- NetherlandsJan and Nieske Hoogenhout became well-known and liked locally when they opened their bakery in Sh
- NetherlandsOn their arrival, Adriana Zevenbergen and her family were treated to gifts, dinner receptions wit
- ItalyThe local newspapers in Melbourne and Sydney carried articles on the arrival of the MV Roma with
- ItalyThe MV Roma went on to Melbourne and then arrived in Sydney at 2.35pm on Thursday 11 October 1951
- AustraliaDad and Mum met on Australia Day 1965, just after Dad had come back from Frankston beach with his
- ItalyMum had really long hair when she was in her teens, but when she was about 18, she thought it was
- GermanyMy Mother and Father decided to come to Australia from Germany.
- Australia'It has not been easy for organised world opinion in the United Nations or elsewhere to act direc
- GreeceBy the 1960s the Australian government began to address the growing gender imbalance by actively
- Vladimir and his family (Jirina his wife, and Marcella his daughter) found asylum in Australia f
- ItalyThe Bellomarinos were considered a ‘very good family group’ by their interviewing immigration off
- LuxembourgFrom Singapore we had an overnight flight to Sydney, dawn came, the first glimpse on our new home
- ItalyDad got work on a market garden in St Ives owned by fellow Aeolian migrants, Sam and Fay Fraumeni
- AustraliaVera arranged a job for Voitre at a local jeweller.
- Sri LankaThe Colombo Plan, launched in 1951, was an intergovernmental program designed to strengthen relat
- GermanyThe migrant ship MS Nelly carried the first German migrants under the bilateral assisted
- NetherlandsMy first job was at a car yard cleaning cars and so.