Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- AustraliaThe first entry into mainland Australia by Torres Strait Islanders from the Torres Strait began i
- NetherlandsJan and Nieske Hoogenhout became well-known and liked locally when they opened their bakery in Sh
- ItalyThe local newspapers in Melbourne and Sydney carried articles on the arrival of the MV Roma with
- LuxembourgThe main kitchen was huge, next to the kitchen, in a shed was a giant steam producing machine, th
- ItalyThis story is about my Dad and Mum on their second trip back home together, but without us kids a
- MaltaMy husband and I had never travelled overseas before we migrated to Australia.
- Australia'It has not been easy for organised world opinion in the United Nations or elsewhere to act direc
- ChinaMy father was born in Chandaochedzy, Manchuria; my mother in Chingan, Manchuria and I was born in
- NetherlandsWhile Jan died in December 2010 and Nieske only six months later, their legacy in Tasmania remain
- Sri LankaThe Colombo Plan, launched in 1951, was an intergovernmental program designed to strengthen relat
- PolandIn 1969 at the age of 21, Cecylia was awarded a Churchill Fellowship to study piano abroad, inclu
- ItalyMy Dad found work at the Ordish Brick Factory in Dandenong a few weeks after he had arrived in Au
- United StatesHaving left New York six weeks earlier, the Mills family - all eight of them!- finally arrive at
- GermanyI cannot remember arriving at Bonegilla, but I clearly remember waking up in the hospital with da
- LuxembourgSYDNEY 1 first steps.
- ItalyMigrants are special people. They are different from those who stay in their home country.
- HungaryBetween 1947 and 1971 the Bonegilla Migrant Reception and Training Centre accommodated more than
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- LuxembourgSydney, Villawood Hostel.
- ItalyEarly October 1973, Mum's family picked up Dad and Mum and headed to Tullamarine Airport.