Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- ItalyAs with other milestone migrant arrivals, there were grand plans to welcome Antonia Bellomarino a
- GermanyFather had to keep an appointment with a government official who would oversee his contract.
- ItalyEarly October 1973, Mum's family picked up Dad and Mum and headed to Tullamarine Airport.
- AustraliaThe top picture is one of me and a mate walking through C Block Wacol Hostel on the way to starti
- HungaryIn exchange for assisted passage to Australia, Laszlo was required to fulfil a two-year work cont
- GermanyOn our arrival in Australia, my mother Lisa's only language was German.
- United KingdomAustralia’s post-war immigration publicity campaign was in full swing by 1955.
- Australia'It has not been easy for organised world opinion in the United Nations or elsewhere to act direc
- AustraliaDad and Mum met on Australia Day 1965, just after Dad had come back from Frankston beach with his
- ItalyMy Mum was a bright and very adventurous little girl.
- AustraliaHe found me a private room in his mission hall.
- ItalyWhen they first arrived in Melbourne, Mum and her family lived in North Essendon for a short time
- AustraliaConstruction began on the Snowy Hydro Electric Scheme on 17 October 1949.
- GermanyGertrud Neumahr was 18 when she decided to go on a grand two year round trip adventure to Austral
- the people you see at this picture are my uncle and my aunt Bep Bijster and there two children.
- ItalyWe arrived at Greta Migrant Camp, approximately 180 kms north of Sydney, in mid December 1955.
- ItalyMum had really long hair when she was in her teens, but when she was about 18, she thought it was
- AustraliaIt was not smooth sailing for all migrants that arrived in Australia after WWII.
- United KingdomArriving from England in March 1964, my wife and I settled in Melbourne.
- LuxembourgThe main kitchen was huge, next to the kitchen, in a shed was a giant steam producing machine, th