Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- NetherlandsAfter a half a year my friend decided to move to another place and I had to decide what to do, st
- LithuaniaOn 28 November 1947, 843 displaced persons from Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia arrived in Fremantl
- PolandIn 1969 at the age of 21, Cecylia was awarded a Churchill Fellowship to study piano abroad, inclu
- LatviaOtto Kampe, the 250,000th refugee to arrive in Australia post-World War II, landed with his wife
- Operation Babylift was the name given to the mass evacuation of children from South Vietnam to nu
- ItalyThe local newspapers in Melbourne and Sydney carried articles on the arrival of the MV Roma with
- GermanyMy parents, Johannes (John) and Elisabeth (Lisa) had applied to emigrate to Venezuela and to Aust
- ItalyMy Mum was a bright and very adventurous little girl.
- AustraliaIt was not smooth sailing for all migrants that arrived in Australia after WWII.
- AustraliaDad and Mum met on Australia Day 1965, just after Dad had come back from Frankston beach with his
- AustraliaThe Snowy Hydro Electric Scheme began construction in 1949.
- NetherlandsThese photographs show the Hoogenhout family working in their bakery.
- United KingdomJohn Albert Martin, his wife Mavis and son Donald, arrived in Australia onboard the Oronsay in Ju
- United KingdomWe arrived at South Brisbane on 5 November, 1968, having made the final leg of our long journey b
- HungaryIn exchange for assisted passage to Australia, Laszlo was required to fulfil a two-year work cont
- NetherlandsFifty years after their arrival, the Wolwinkels held a family reunion in Gumbuya Park, Victoria,
- United KingdomIt was 16th March 1952.
- United KingdomAustralia’s post-war immigration publicity campaign was in full swing by 1955.
- ItalyMario Cerasani was born on 9 June 1930 in San Benedetto dei Marsi in the Abruzzo region of Italy.