Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- Czech RepublicThe Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1968 ended a period of democratic reform and led to an
- GermanyGertrud Neumahr was 18 when she decided to go on a grand two year round trip adventure to Austral
- HungaryIn exchange for assisted passage to Australia, Laszlo was required to fulfil a two-year work cont
- GermanyThey sailed on 9.12.54 on the SS Skaubryn and Christmas was celebrated on the Red Sea.
- AustraliaHe found me a private room in his mission hall.
- ItalyWhen they first arrived in Melbourne, Mum and her family lived in North Essendon for a short time
- United KingdomTom & Millie Wilkinson, with their young family - Gordon and Rosemary - arrived in Melbourne,
- NetherlandsAfter a half a year my friend decided to move to another place and I had to decide what to do, st
- GermanyMum and Dad came from Ulm in southern Germany.
- United KingdomHere we are, having gone through customs and heading for the gang plank not knowing what might li
- United KingdomWe arrived at South Brisbane on 5 November, 1968, having made the final leg of our long journey b
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- NetherlandsI (Frans Alexander Udo) was born on March 29 1950 in Amsterdam Holland.
- ItalyDad met us at the wharf in Sydney and took us to our new home on a market-garden farm in St Ives.
- ItalyMum had really long hair when she was in her teens, but when she was about 18, she thought it was
- Bas Wie was an orphan who had survived the Japanese occupation of Timor during World War II.
- GermanyThe migrant ship MS Nelly carried the first German migrants under the bilateral assisted
- NetherlandsIt all began when I was at secondary school where I had to do a project on one of the continents.
- GermanyAs a teenager, seventeen at my last birthday, I had my own cabin aboard.
- NetherlandsLike many new arrivals, Bonegilla Migrant Reception and Training Centre was the Wolswinkels' firs