Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- ItalyThe local newspapers in Melbourne and Sydney carried articles on the arrival of the MV Roma with
- GreeceBy the 1960s the Australian government began to address the growing gender imbalance by actively
- ItalyMario Cerasani was born on 9 June 1930 in San Benedetto dei Marsi in the Abruzzo region of Italy.
- United StatesHaving left New York six weeks earlier, the Mills family - all eight of them!- finally arrive at
- NetherlandsThis is writtrn in memory of my father and mother.In the year 1945 we had been through a war and
- Vladimir and his family (Jirina his wife, and Marcella his daughter) found asylum in Australia f
- ItalyDad got work on a market garden in St Ives owned by fellow Aeolian migrants, Sam and Fay Fraumeni
- NetherlandsAfter a half a year my friend decided to move to another place and I had to decide what to do, st
- NetherlandsAs promotion for the Australian government’s migration programs, much was made of milestone arriv
- AustraliaConstruction began on the Snowy Hydro Electric Scheme on 17 October 1949.
- Australia'It has not been easy for organised world opinion in the United Nations or elsewhere to act direc
- GermanyAfter a few weeks in Bonegilla we moved to Beechworth in Victoria.
- LuxembourgThe rest of the afternoon was spend unpacking then wandering around in the hostel to get acquaint
- GermanyAustralia accepted us as emigrants in 1948 and we left Deggendorf in mid-winter.
- United KingdomHi I am but a mere Scot but the real story relates to my two uncles by the names of Magnus and Be
- NetherlandsJan and Nieske Hoogenhout became well-known and liked locally when they opened their bakery in Sh
- AustraliaThe first entry into mainland Australia by Torres Strait Islanders from the Torres Strait began i
- GreeceThe selection officer who interviewed Vassiliki Daflou in Athens described her as ‘just an averag
- United KingdomMy father Alexander was sixty five years old when he and my mother Susan decided to migrate to Au