Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- NetherlandsWhile Jan died in December 2010 and Nieske only six months later, their legacy in Tasmania remain
- United KingdomIt was 16th March 1952.
- Australia'It has not been easy for organised world opinion in the United Nations or elsewhere to act direc
- United KingdomAustralia’s post-war immigration publicity campaign was in full swing by 1955.
- GermanyOn our arrival in Australia, my mother Lisa's only language was German.
- ItalyMario Cerasani was born on 9 June 1930 in San Benedetto dei Marsi in the Abruzzo region of Italy.
- Czech RepublicVoitre Marek, an artist now with works at the Art Gallery of South Australia and the National Gal
- LithuaniaOn 28 November 1947, 843 displaced persons from Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia arrived in Fremantl
- PolandI, Marianna Konovalov and my husband Vladimir came to Australia as migrants in 1949.
- United KingdomI was 12 years old and was ordered by the High Court in London to leave to join my father Frank a
- ItalyEarly October 1973, Mum's family picked up Dad and Mum and headed to Tullamarine Airport.
- NetherlandsIt all began when I was at secondary school where I had to do a project on one of the continents.
- AustraliaConstruction began on the Snowy Hydro Electric Scheme on 17 October 1949.
- LuxembourgSydney 2 getting work On the way to the employment office, the predominant question in the back
- Bosnia and HerzegovinaGot Queensland Migrant Service Award by the Queensland Government for voluntary work .
- South AfricaBorn in 1901 and standing 88.9cm tall, Maria Peters was variously known as ‘Princess Ubangi’, ‘a
- United KingdomWe arrived at South Brisbane on 5 November, 1968, having made the final leg of our long journey b
- AustraliaThe following day I was given a very lengthy series of tests in maths, English, solving problems,
- EgyptThe Egyptian ship SS Misr arrived in Melbourne in April 1947 with 624 men, women and chi