Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Video portraitsBrowse videos
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- AustraliaIn their new home, they planted lots of fruit trees and vegetable plants and lived off the garden
- Bosnia and HerzegovinaGot Queensland Migrant Service Award by the Queensland Government for voluntary work .
- NetherlandsIn 1955 at eight years old my parents told me we were going to move to Australia.
- United KingdomIt was 16th March 1952.
- GermanyAustralia accepted us as emigrants in 1948 and we left Deggendorf in mid-winter.
- GermanyFather had to keep an appointment with a government official who would oversee his contract.
- VietnamIn April 1975, a large scale evacuation of children took place in Vietnam, sending thousands of c
- GermanyMy Mother and Father decided to come to Australia from Germany.
- LuxembourgThe rest of the afternoon was spend unpacking then wandering around in the hostel to get acquaint
- United Kingdom(Mitchell Librarian 1993-2001, Associate Director State Records NSW 2001-2008 and Director State
- ItalyDad got work on a market garden in St Ives owned by fellow Aeolian migrants, Sam and Fay Fraumeni
- HungaryIn exchange for assisted passage to Australia, Laszlo was required to fulfil a two-year work cont
- GermanyDad and a mate worked hard on the side, cutting timber, breaking coal, anything, to earn a few ex
- United KingdomJohn Albert Martin, his wife Mavis and son Donald, arrived in Australia onboard the Oronsay in Ju
- I was nine years old in 1956. It had been one of the coldest winters on record in Holland.
- JapanSachiko McKay nee Morimoto, known as Marie, was born in Japan in 1928.
- ItalyMario Cerasani was born on 9 June 1930 in San Benedetto dei Marsi in the Abruzzo region of Italy.
- ItalyMilestone migrants received a lot of fanfare on arrival to Australia, and for Antonia Bellomarino
- AustraliaVarious programs were run for the children of migrants, particularly via hostels and community or
- VietnamOperation Babylift was the name given to the mass evacuation of children from South Vietnam to nu