Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- AustraliaVarious programs were run for the children of migrants, particularly via hostels and community or
- United KingdomMy uncle, James Hadley with his wife Maisie (nee Lambert) and their two children, Jaimmy and Jenn
- NetherlandsThis is writtrn in memory of my father and mother.In the year 1945 we had been through a war and
- ItalyMario Cerasani was born on 9 June 1930 in San Benedetto dei Marsi in the Abruzzo region of Italy.
- NetherlandsOn their arrival, Adriana Zevenbergen and her family were treated to gifts, dinner receptions wit
- LuxembourgSYDNEY 1 first steps.
- ItalyEarly October 1973, Mum's family picked up Dad and Mum and headed to Tullamarine Airport.
- United KingdomAustralia’s post-war immigration publicity campaign was in full swing by 1955.
- the people you see at this picture are my uncle and my aunt Bep Bijster and there two children.
- AustraliaIn their new home, they planted lots of fruit trees and vegetable plants and lived off the garden
- GreeceThe selection officer who interviewed Vassiliki Daflou in Athens described her as ‘just an averag
- NetherlandsAs promotion for the Australian government’s migration programs, much was made of milestone arriv
- HungaryIn exchange for assisted passage to Australia, Laszlo was required to fulfil a two-year work cont
- AustraliaConstruction began on the Snowy Hydro Electric Scheme on 17 October 1949.
- AustraliaMany migrants that made the journey to Australia found it hard to adapt to the Australian way of
- Operation Babylift was the name given to the mass evacuation of children from South Vietnam to nu
- ItalyThe MV Roma went on to Melbourne and then arrived in Sydney at 2.35pm on Thursday 11 October 1951
- ItalyIn July, 1977, Mum's family came to pick us up and take us to Tullamarine Airport as we were on o
- LuxembourgSydney, Villawood Hostel.
- Czech RepublicThe Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1968 ended a period of democratic reform and led to an