Share your story, read about other migrants’ memories and explore our photos – to see if you recognise someone you know. Between 1946 and 1999 government photographers snapped 22,000 images of people arriving and living in Australia. You can view them online in the National Archives’ collection.
Explore the collection
Personal storiesAdd Your Own Story
- United KingdomAustralia’s post-war immigration publicity campaign was in full swing by 1955.
- NetherlandsThis is writtrn in memory of my father and mother.In the year 1945 we had been through a war and
- ItalyMario Cerasani was born on 9 June 1930 in San Benedetto dei Marsi in the Abruzzo region of Italy.
- NetherlandsWhile Jan died in December 2010 and Nieske only six months later, their legacy in Tasmania remain
- HungaryLaszlo Makay arrived in Australia in 1951.
- GermanyDad worked at BHP at Newcastle, and was meant to stay in the hostel at Mayfield, but to save mone
- GermanyDad and a mate worked hard on the side, cutting timber, breaking coal, anything, to earn a few ex
- GermanyAfter a few weeks in Bonegilla we moved to Beechworth in Victoria.
- GermanyMum and Dad came from Ulm in southern Germany.
- NetherlandsThere seemed to be no future for me in Australia, so I decided to return to the Netherlands after
- United KingdomWe arrived at South Brisbane on 5 November, 1968, having made the final leg of our long journey b
- South AfricaBorn in 1901 and standing 88.9cm tall, Maria Peters was variously known as ‘Princess Ubangi’, ‘a
- AustraliaVera arranged a job for Voitre at a local jeweller.
- LithuaniaOn 28 November 1947, 843 displaced persons from Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia arrived in Fremantl
- AustraliaVarious programs were run for the children of migrants, particularly via hostels and community or
- NetherlandsIt all began when I was at secondary school where I had to do a project on one of the continents.
- ItalyThe MV Roma went on to Melbourne and then arrived in Sydney at 2.35pm on Thursday 11 October 1951
- GreeceBy the 1960s the Australian government began to address the growing gender imbalance by actively
- Bosnia and HerzegovinaGot Queensland Migrant Service Award by the Queensland Government for voluntary work .
- JapanSachiko McKay nee Morimoto, known as Marie, was born in Japan in 1928.