Destination: Australia has been created to highlight the Immigration Photographic Archive (series A12111) held in the National Archives of Australia. The photographs were taken by government photographers between 1946 and 1999 and feature thousands of Australia's post-World War II migrants. The site provides you with an opportunity to look through the photographs and better yet, share your own stories about you or your family's migrant experience.
Nearly seven million migrants have come to Australia since the end of World War II and each will have a different memory or perception of different events. With this in mind, we encourage people to think about what they really mean and the impact their post could have before contributing any information.
Destination: Australia takes a proactive approach to website moderation. Conversation and debate is encouraged. Commenting will only be moderated when you include a hyperlink or an image in a comment. Please use the 'Report' function to inform us of a suspected breach of this policy. All comments and stories will be regularly reviewed by the Destination: Australia moderators.
When posting content to the website including tagging or commenting, you agree to comply with the following guidelines:
- Remember that the website is public. If you wish to protect your identity when providing content and comments, you should use an appropriate username. Do not use the real identity or username of another person.
- Act responsibly when online. You and only you are responsible for your contributions.
- Be careful not to post anything (including images) that may breach a law or embarrass you or someone else.
- Engage in debate, share your stories, but most importantly respect other users’ comments.
- Please only make comments in English.
- If you quote someone else or use their material, please get their permission before sharing it. This is not only polite but may also protect you from breaching the law.
- Ensure information contributed is not fraudulent, deceptive, misleading or otherwise unlawful.
- Ensure information contributed is not material (such as material protected by copyright) that you do not have a legal right to post.
- Ensure information contributed does not contain a virus or some other form of malicious code.
Site administrators will never ask you for personal information including your password or email address. If a user of this site asks you for personal information please contact us.
Why you are asked to register before commenting
Before you can contribute to this site you need to register a username, real first and last name, email address and password with us. We need you to register so we can identify which user has contributed which content. In selecting a user name you are not required to use your real name. However, do not use the real identity of another person. We collect your first and last name in order to validate your association with a particular organisation and to provide an additional level of authority for the content you contribute. Please read the Privacy statement in order to fully understand how your registration details will be stored and used.