Photograph 7495351
The Tasmanian Hydro Electric Commission employs 1150 migrant workers among its construction force of 2000 men. Since WWII, the Commission has engaged some 5000 migrant workers to help in a programme of power development in the Central Tasmanian Plateau and Derwent River System. This programme has increased generating capacity from 221000 to nearly 700000 hp. in nine stations. Scene in the newly completed power house at Tungatinah. The five alternators here have an installed generating capacity of 125000 kilowatts. They are driven by 5 Francis vertical turbines, each rated at 35000 hp

Image details

Year: 
RecordSearch reference: 
A12111, 1/1958/16/133
Add to favourites (login required)
Share on social media: 
Share

Contributions

People:
No people have been tagged yet. Be the first by using the 'Tag people' button.
Locations:
No locations have been added yet. Be the first by using the 'Suggest locations' button.