Photograph 7495361
The Tasmanian Hydro Electric Commission employs 1150 migrant workers among its construction force of 2000 men. Since WWII, the Commission has engaged some 5000 migrant workers to help in a programme of power development in the Central Tasmanian Plateau and Derwent River System. This programme has increased generating capacity from 221000 to nearly 700000 hp. in nine stations. Penstocks leading to Tarraleah powerhouse (bottom right) and to Tungatina powerhouse (obscured). This scene gives some impression of the rugged country in which Tasmania's hydro-electric development has taken place. The two stations have a combined capacity of more than 300000 hp

Image details

Year: 
RecordSearch reference: 
A12111, 1/1958/16/143
Add to favourites (login required)
Share on social media: 
Share

Contributions

People:
No people have been tagged yet. Be the first by using the 'Tag people' button.
Locations:
No locations have been added yet. Be the first by using the 'Suggest locations' button.