• A precious photo of my Dad when he first arrived in Australia in May,1962 and living in George Street, Dandenong.
  • Dad first lived at 14 George Street, Dandenong when he first arrived in Australia. I was lucky to find an image of it as sadly it's no longer there.
  • Dad in his first year working at Pilkington. You can clearly see his Birthmark on the right side of his face. In the later years this would be covered up by his beautiful tan.
  • Dad experienced Moomba for the first time in 1963. This memorable photo shows him relaxing on the lawns with the Sidney Myer Music Bowl behind him.
  • My Dad enjoying the sun and getting a beautiful tan while living in Scott Street, Dandenong.
  • My Dad and his friend Giovanni enjoying a motorbike ride together while living in Scott Street, Dandenong.
  • Dad enjoying the sun with his friends Giuliano and Sam on the Frankston Beach Pier. It's January, 1965 and the Australia Day long weekend.
  • The Pilkington Water Tower with the eye on it that I would always look out for and still do.
  • A memorable photo of my Dad receiving a safety award gift from Pilkington.
  • Dad loved working at Pilkington and this photo shows him proudly holding up the 1,000,000 roller hearth toughened door panel in June 1982.
  • Dad was 'Profile of the Week' in this issue of the Pilkington newsletter 'The Looking Glass'.

My Dad found work at the Ordish Brick Factory on Stud Road, Dandenong a few weeks after he had arrived in Australia in 1962. He worked there for about a year, but was hearing everyone talking about this new factory called 'Pilkington' so he went to enquire. He got the job and loved it and it was paying more money.

Dad still didn't have his licence after Mum and Dad married so for many years he would have to walk to work. It was over an hour each way from Gloria Avenue, Dandenong to Greens Road, Dandenong south. Occasionally he would get a lift, but as he did shift work, it was a little tricky.

I recently asked Mum the route Dad would take. She said it was heartbreaking for her to see him go, but there was no other choice. She said that he would walk from home in Gloria Avenue to Cleeland Street and then onto Lonsdale Street. Then he would continue onto the Princes Hwy and take the Sth Gippsland Hwy all the way until he hit Greens Road and then turn right to get to Pilkington. I really wanted to walk the route he took just to see if I could make it, but I haven't as yet. I was looking for someone to do it with me and my Luke said that he might one day. I'm so proud of my Dad.

He worked there for over 35 years and saw many changes in the glass industry. His bosses loved him as he was such a great worker and always gave 101%. Even though it is now called Viridian, they have a club called the Silverthread's where they invite staff that gave over 25 years at Pilkington. I recently found a newsletter called the 'The Looking Glass' where they would do a profile on a staff member and when they interviewed Dad, he had wished to stay healthy and win tattslotto. Sadly, neither of them came true.

Another magazine that I have which Dad gave to me was called 'Talk About' from 1983 which shows an earlier photo of Dad's section of the plant receiving a beautiful glass serving plate. I just recently found out that it was for a safety award gift as they had recorded an accident free year.

In 1963, Dad remembers catching the train to go to a festival everyone was talking about. It was Moomba and there were lots of migrants there with their finest clothes on. Across the road is the Royal Botanical Gardens and a photo shows Dad relaxing on the lawn with the Sidney Myer Music Bowl behind him.

I love the photo of my Dad when he first arrived in Australia, living at Giustina's house in George St, Dandenong. I remember the blanket on his bed and the radio/record player we used to listen to when we were little. Dad gave it to my brother Frank as he always wanted it one day. You can also see under the bed is the suitcase that he came over from Italy with. Dad eventually moved to an all boys boarding house at 64 Scott St. They had to cook and wash for themselves, but he never complained. He had lots of friends, especially Giovanni and they did lots of things together. I never ever knew that Dad had ever been on a motorbike.

Dad would go where his friends would take him as he didn't have a car. During the Australia Day long weekend in 1965, they went to Frankston beach and had an absolute ball. They would all look out for their future love and later that day, Dad was introduced to my Mum, Nara De Santis.

Story details

Country of origin: 
Share on social media: