• The Pilkington Water Tower with the eye on it that I would always look out for and still do.
  • A memorable photo of my Dad receiving a safety award gift from Pilkington.
  • Dad was 'Profile of the Week' in this issue of the Pilkington newsletter 'The Looking Glass'.
  • Photograph si754
  • Photograph si760
  • Photograph si755
  • Photograph si756
  • Photograph si751
  • Photograph si757
  • Photograph si752
  • Photograph si758
  • Photograph si753

My Dad found work at the Ordish Brick Factory in Dandenong a few weeks after he had arrived in Australia in 1962. He worked there for about a year, but was hearing everyone talking about this new factory 'Pilkington' so he went to enquire. He got the job and loved it and it was paying more money.

Dad didn't have his licence or own a car so for many years he would have to walk to work. It was over an hour each way from Gloria Avenue, Dandenong to Greens Road, Dandenong South. Occasionally he would get a lift, but as he did shift work, it was a little tricky.

I recently asked Mum the route Dad would take. She said it was heartbreaking for her to see him go, but their was no other choice. She said that he would walk from home to Cleeland Street and then onto Lonsdale Street. Then he would continue onto the Princes Hwy and take the Sth Gippsland Hwy all the way until he hit Greens Road and then turn right to get to Pilkington. I really wanted to walk the route he took just to see if I could make it, but I haven't as yet. I was looking for someone to do it with me and my Luke said that he might. I'm so proud of my Dad.

He worked there for over 35 years and saw many changes in the glass industry. His bosses loved him and he was such a great worker and always gave 101%. Even though it is now called Viridian, they have a club called the Silverthread's where they invite staff that gave over 25 years at Pilkington. I recently found a newsletter called the 'The Looking Glass' where they would do a profile on a staff member and when they interviewed Dad, he had wished to stay healthy and win tattslotto. Sadly, neither of them came true.

Another magazine that I have which Dad gave to me was called 'Talk About' from 1983 which shows a photo of Dad's section of the plant receiving a beautiful glass serving plate. I just recently found out that it was for a safety award gift as they had recorded an accident free year.

In 1963, Dad remembers catching the train to go to a festival everyone was talking about. It was Moomba and there were lots of migrants there with their finest clothes on. Accross the road is the Royal Botanical Gardens and a photo shows Dad relaxing on the lawn with the Sidney Myer Music Bowl behind him.

I love the photo of my Dad when he first arrived in Australia, living at Giustina's house in George St, Dandenong. I remember the blanket on his bed and the radio/record player we used to listen to when we were little. My brother Frank still has it. You can also see under the bed is the suitcase that he came over from Italy with. Dad eventually moved to an all boys boarding house at 64 Scott St. They had to cook and wash for themselves, but they never complained. He had lots of friends, especially Giovanni and they did lots of things together. I never knew that Dad had ever been on a motorbike.

Dad would go where his friends would take him as he didn't have a car yet and on Australia Day, 1965 they went to the Frankston beach and had a ball. They would look out for their future love and later that day, Dad was introduced to my Mum, Nara De Santis.

Story details

Country of origin: 
Share on social media: